Social benefits for disabled persons
Permanent residents of Estonia who have moderate, severe or profound disabilities which cause additional expenses have the right to receive social benefits. Persons residing in Estonia on the basis of a temporary residence permit or temporary right or residence (for example, family members of citizens of the European Union) may also apply for social benefits.
Social benefits for disabled persons are:
- disabled child allowance – paid to children up to 16 years of age;
- allowance for disabled person in working age – paid from 16 years of age to pensionable age;
- allowance for disabled person in pensionable age – granted to disabled persons upon reaching the retirement age;
- disabled parent’s allowance – granted to one disabled parent or a disabled person raising a child alone;
- education allowance – received by disabled students attending an upper secondary school in classes 10 to 12 or a vocational school or an institution of higher education. The allowance is not paid in July and August;
- in-service training allowance – paid for professional training.
Social benefits are calculated on the basis of the rate of social benefits for disabled persons. You can find the amounts of social benefits and more information about the benefits from the website of the Social Insurance Board.
Benefits are paid on the 5th day of each month. If that day falls on a national holiday or the weekend, the benefits will be paid on the working day preceding that day.
Submitting an application
The application for social benefits for disabled persons may be submitted together with the application for determination of degree of severity of disability.
You may also submit the application for determination of degree of severity of disability together with the application for assessment of work ability, in which case you should submit a joint application (doc, 412 kB) to the Unemployment Insurance Fund or the Social Insurance Board.
The application for social benefits for disabled persons (pdf, 227 kB, in Estonian) may be submitted:
- by e-mail, if digitally signed, to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- by regular mail to a regional customer service office of the Social Insurance Board;
- at the customer service office of the Social Insurance Board (the application may be filled in on site as well).