Special care services
Special care services are meant for adults, except for persons of pensionable age with dementia who have developed a greater need for personal assistance, guidance or supervision due to severe, profound or permanent mental disorder and who need professional personal assistance to cope.
Persons may be referred to receive special care services from the age of 18 and added to a waiting list from the age of 16.
Special care services for persons with mental disorders include:
- everyday life support service;
- employment support service;
- supported living service;
- community living service;
- 24-hour special care service, also for persons with mental disorder with unstable remission, profound multiple disability and those referred to receive the service on the basis of a court ruling.
Referral to receive a service
Persons may be referred to receive supplementary special care services on the basis of a rehabilitation plan or an opinion of a psychiatrist. Persons are referred to receive the 24-hour special care service, except the service provided on the basis of a court ruling, only on the basis of a rehabilitation plan wherein the needs of a person are specified according to a target group.
To receive special care services, an application for receiving special care services (pdf, 195 kB, in Estonian) must be submitted to a regional case manager of the Social Insurance Board of a person’s residence. The application must include the service provider or the county where the service is wished to be received. In case a person has a guardian, the data of the guardian must also be included in the application.
An application may be:
- filled in the state portal eesti.ee
- sent by regular mail or given to a case manager
- filled in at the customer service office of the Social Insurance Board.
The Social Insurance Board will make a decision whether or not to provide special care services, except in the case of persons referred to receive the service on the basis of a court ruling, within 15 working days from the receipt of the application.