Benefits for disabled children
Social benefits for disabled persons are granted and paid to permanent residents of Estonia or persons residing in Estonia on the basis of a temporary residence permit or right of residence with moderate, severe or profound disabilities that cause additional expense.
Social benefits are calculated on the basis of the rate of social benefits for disabled persons. The amounts of social benefits for disabled persons are available on the website of the Social Insurance Board.
Disabled child allowance is paid monthly to a disabled child up to 16 years of age for the additional expenses caused by the disability and for the activities prescribed in a rehabilitation plan in an amount equal to:
- 270% of the social benefit rate to a child with a moderate disability;
- 315% of the social benefit rate to a child with a severe or profound disability.
In case the data regarding the birth of a child are not available in the population register (for example, when a child has been born in a foreign country), the birth certificate of a child must be submitted additionally to receive the benefit.
Education allowance is paid monthly to a non-working disabled student who attends upper secondary school in classes 10 to 12 or who attends a vocational school or an institution of higher education, and who has additional expenses in relation to their studies as a result of the disability. Educational allowance is not paid in July and August.
Education allowance is paid according to the actual additional expenses of the person in an amount of 25–100% of the social benefit rate.
When applying for the benefit, the following additional documents must be submitted:
- a statement of attendance from an educational institution or a student card, in case the necessary data is not available in the Estonian Education Information System;
- a document declaring the existence of additional expenses relating to education or the need for making such expenses as a result of a disability.
- handwritten declaration of unemployment.
Benefits are paid on the 5th day of each month. If that day falls on a national holiday or the weekend, the benefits will be paid on the working day preceding that day.
Submitting an application
The application for social benefits for disabled persons may be submitted together with the application for determination of degree of severity of disability. You may also submit the application for determination of degree of severity of disability together with the application for assessment of work ability, in which case you should submit a joint application (doc, 412 kB) to the Unemployment Insurance Fund or the Social Insurance Board.
The application (pdf, 210.5 kB, in Estonian) may you submit:
- by e-mail, if digitally signed, to firstname.lastname@example.org
- by regular mail to a regional customer service office, or
- at the customer service office of the Social Insurance Board (the application may be filled in on site as well).
The application must include the findings of the examination determining the degree of severity of a disability. In the case of some benefits, additional documents must also be included. For more information, contact the customer service office of the Social Insurance Board of your residence.
The local government may grant or pay additional benefits to you. For more information, contact the department of social affairs of the rural municipality or city government of your residence.
If you have any questions, call the information line of the Social Insurance Board at 16106 or (+372) 612 1360 or write an e-mail to email@example.com.