Parental leave and child care allowance
Either the mother or the father may go on parental leave. There is no right to go on parental leave if the parent has been stripped of parental rights or if the child resides in a social welfare institution.
- The parental leave may be used all at once or in portions.
- The person on parental leave may switch.
- Employment contracts are suspended for the term of the parental leave, meaning that the position is retained.
During the parental leave, the person on the care leave is paid child care allowance. During the parental leave, the person is paid a child care allowance. The allowance is paid to one parent or a person who uses the child care in place of the parent. The amount of child care allowance depends on the age and umber of the children in the family. In general the parental leave is to be used after the end of the maternity leave, but university students and schoolchildren who do not receive compensation for pregnancy and maternity leave may exercise their right to child care allowance after the child is born.
The child care allowance is paid to one parent or a person who uses the child care in place of the parent. In the case of a child older than three years of age, the child care allowance may be paid only to a parent, not to a caregiver. Child care allowance is not paid to a child under 1 year of age in connection with whose birth the maternity benefit or parental benefit is paid.
For how long?
- For all children up to three years of age.
- In a family with two children, child care allowance is paid also for a child of up to eight years of age until the younger child turns three.
- If there are three or more children receiving child allowance, the child care allowance is paid to all children until they turn eight years of age. If the child turns eight years of age during the current school year, the child care allowance is paid until the end of the school year.
The child care allowance is a monthly allowance that is paid as follows:
- to a parent, or person using parental leave in place of the parent, who is raising a child of under three years of age, 38,36 euros for each child up to the age of three;
- in a family where there is a child of up to three years of age and additional three to eight-year-old children, to one parent, 19,18 euros per child age three to eight;
- in a family with three or more children where there are three or more children of at least three years of age that receive child allowance, to one parent, 19,18 euros per each child age three to eight.
If you have any questions, call the information line of the Social Insurance Board at 16106 or (+372) 612 1360 or write an e-mail to email@example.com.