Registering residence

All Estonian inhabitants have a duty to make sure that their residence data as listed in the Population Register are correct. Registration of residence means that the data on the person’s residence is entered into the Population Register. The person is obliged to submit their data to the Population Register after moving to a new address, upon finding incorrect data in the Population Register or if there are no data in the Population Register for that person.

The notice of residence is submitted to the local government (in Tallinn to the City District Administration) official responsible for dealing with the Population Register (registrar) if the person:

  • moves to a new address
  • moves within Estonia
  • moves abroad
  • moves back to Estonia from abroad.

A person living in a foreign country can communicate a change in residence to an embassy or consulate. If a person has several addresses as a residence, he or she shall submit one of the addresses to the Population Register, at his or her discretion. Communication numbers may also be submitted on the notice of residence (telephone, e-mail address).

How to submit a notice on residence

A notice on residence (pdf, 3.14 MB, can be filled electronically, in Estonian) may be submitted:

The notice of residence shall include the precise and complete data for one address. Persons living at one address may submit joint notice of residence, and certainly the notice must include data for underage children. Upon submitting a notice of residence, registering to a new address will take place and de-registration will take place automatically.

To register the residential address of a minor child, a written authority from a second parent with right of custody shall be submitted. Free form and signed document is the second parent’s written authority.

If you submit a notice of residence using the state portal, the application must be digitally signed and added to the application after saving it and clicking on the “Sign” button.

If a person is not an owner of the premises listed in the notice of residence, he or she shall add to the notice of residence a copy of a document certifying the right to use the premises (e.g. a lease) or permission from the owner of the room (signature on the notice of residence).

Submitting the notice of residence using the state portal, the owner can give his or her consent through the same services. For this the owner must sign in using his or her ID-card or mobile ID and open the notice of residence pending for a signature (Main page → E-Services → For a citizen → Population register → My applications → Pending).

The consent from the owner is not necessary if the data of the person’s residence abroad are entered into the Population Register.

For entering an address of premises in co-ownership into the Population Register, the person submitting the notice of residence shall add the consent of all of the co-owners or their representatives to the notice of residence.

A local government shall verify, within ten working days of receiving a notice of residence, whether the notice complies with the requirements. If the notice complies with the requirements, the local government shall enter the residential address in the population register.

Residence right for European Union citizens

A citizen of the European Union, a member state of the European Union Economic Area and Swiss Confederation (hereinafter an EU citizen) has a right to stay in Estonia on the basis of a valid travel document or an identity card for the period of up to three months without registration of the right of residence. A family member of an EU citizen has the right to stay in Estonia for the time period of up to 3 months together with an EU citizen, and the family member must hold a valid travel document and a visa.

After 3 months of staying in Estonia the EU citizen and the family member need to register his/her place of residence in the Population Register of Estonia to obtain the right of residence. A notice on residence may be submitted via a Population Register employee or by using the Population Register e-services in the state portal. The document certifying the right of residence of an EU citizen is the ID card.

Owner’s right to submit a notice for amending the data

If a person’s place of residence in the Population Register is listed as a space belonging to the owner, but the resident does not have the right to use it, the inhabitant’s right to use the space has ended and the person does not use the owner’s space as a place of residence, the owner of the premises has the right to submit a notice to the Population Register for amending the data (to de-register the residents).

If the owner is not aware of the persons registered, he can contact the local government via phone or e-mail to get the information.

The local government will inform the resident regarding the application by the owner of the premises by registered post, and a notice shall be sent to the Ametlikud Teadaanded publication. The owner’s application shall not be approved if the person documents his or her right to use the dwelling within one month of receipt of the application or publication in the Ametlikud Teadaanded.

The Population Register

The Population Register is a unified database of Estonian citizens and foreign nationals living in Estonia on the basis of right of residence or residence permit and is administered and developed by the Ministry of the Interior.

Persons have access to information in case of a justified interest in seeking access. The Population Register data shall be updated on an ongoing basis when events are registered and when documents are issued at state or local government institutions.

Persons have the right to see the data entered into the Population Register. Parents and guardians have the right to view children’s data, while in the case of persons with limited active capacity the right belongs to the guardian. Access to data is enabled by the local government or authorized processor of registered data, Minister of the Interior’s IT and Development Centre (SMIT) on the basis of application by the person.

In addition, you may view your data on the same portal, if you log in to the portal (via ID card, Mobile ID or Internet bank) and choose a service Query for own data, in addition you may view your own and your own minor children’s data in the Query of own data and underage children. If you discover a mistake in your data, you may notify the local government or SMIT via the state portal.

Last amended: 25-01-2018 00:00 | Compiled by: Ministry of the Interior