Submitting a notice of economic activities for caviar handling
- Legal bases
- Cross-border operation
- Requirements to the submitter
- Filling in and submission of a notice
- Changing the data of a notice of economic activities
- Discontinuation of economic activities
- Contact details
Caviar handling means the (re)packaging or processing of caviar for export, re-export or intra-community trade.
If you wish to commence economic activities in the area of caviar handling, you must submit a notice of economic activities to the Register of Economic Activities before commencing economic activities.
The activity of the undertaking in the economic activity area is regulated by the following acts and regulations:
- Nature Conservation Act;
- State Fees Act;
- Regulation No. 38 of the Minister of the Environment “Procedures for labelling caviar packages and confirming the form of the report submitted by the owner of the caviar handling license”;
- Council Regulation (EC) No 338/97 on the protection of species of wild fauna and flora by regulating trade therein and the implementation acts of the respective regulation;
- Commission Regulation (EC) No 865/2006, laying down detailed rules concerning the implementation of Council Regulation (EC) No 338/97 on the protection of species of wild fauna and flora by regulating trade therein.
Common requirements have been established in the European Union for the export, reexport or intra-Community trade. In addition, a pan-European requirement has been established, stating that caviar can only be handled for the aforementioned purposes by an undertaking registered in a CITES managing authority of a Member State. As not all Member States have CITES managing authorities, there is no reason for registering an undertaking in Estonia if it is active in another Member State.
All documents required for the export, reexport or intra-Community trade of caviar are valid in the European Union.
Requirements to the submitter
A caviar handler must meet the following criteria:
- The person has been approved as a food business operator.
- The person keeps sufficient records of imported, exported, re-exported, processed-on-site, stored or marketed caviar and, using the prescribed report form, submits annual reports on the quantity, origin and labelling of the imported, exported, re-exported, processed-on-site, stored or marketed caviar.
- The person labels packaged caviar, including repackaged caviar and processed caviar packaging in accordance with the established procedure.
- The legal person has appointed a person who is liable for the processing, packaging and marketing of caviar in the enterprise.
- The person has not violated the requirements for trading in endangered species in the last three years.
Filling in and submission of a notice
The notice of economic activities must include the following data:
- The name and registry code, location and address as well as correct contact details of the undertaking.
- The classifications of the desired area of activity.
- Address and contact details of the handling location or locations.
- The date of commencement of economic activities if it differs from the date of submission of the notice of economic activities
- Data of the signatory of the notifier. The notice of economic activity shall be signed by a member of the board or another signatory. A power of attorney must be added to the application in the case of an authorised person.
The notice of economic activities can be submitted:
by entering the Register of Economic Activities through the State Portal (use of the service requires login with an ID card, Mobile ID or via an internet bank); digitally signed application to: firstname.lastname@example.org; by regular mail to the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications at Harju 11, 15072 Tallinn or via notary.
NB! The following state fees apply for issuing packaging labels for repackages and processed caviar:
- 320 euros for the first 500 labels;
- 130 euros for the next 500 labels.
Changing the data of a notice of economic activities
As an undertaking, you must inform the registrar regarding any changes in the data of your economic activities as soon as possible, within 5 working days at the latest. The data of the notice can be verified on the webpage of the Register of Economic Activities. Make sure that your contact details are correct.
Discontinuation of economic activities
Upon temporary suspension or termination of economic activities, you must submit a notice of temporary suspension of economic activities, specifying the beginning and ending date of the suspension period.
The Environmental Inspectorate is responsible for the supervision of requirements for caviar handling.
Kadri Alasi, tel: +372 626 2882, e-mail: email@example.com
Jaanus Tuusti, tel: +372 511 8445, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registry information and technical questions
Register of Economic Activities, tel: +372 668 7080, email@example.com