Activity Licence for Providers of Media Services
- Legal bases
- Requirements for the applicant
- Cross-border operation
- Filling and submitting the application
- Payment of the state fee
- Proceeding the application
- Changing the conditions of a licence
- Temporary renouncement and commencement of economic activities
- Revoking of the activity licence
- Contact information
You need to apply for activity licence in case You would like to offer such services as:
- Radio service, which uses radio frequency that is part of Estonian radio frequency plan
- Free access television service
- Conditional access television service
- Satellite television service
- Temporary television or radio service (up to 1 month)
The activity licence is issued for a certain period and is not prolonged. If you would like to offer the service after the period for which the licence was issued, You need to apply for activity licence again.
Offering of media services is regulated by:
- Media Services Act
- General Part of the Economic Activities Code Act
- Audiovisual Media Services Directive 2010/13/EL You need to apply for activity licence to offer radio or television service. You do not need an activity licence to offer on-demand audiovisual media service as stated in Media Services Act § 4 (1) p. 2. On-demand audiovisual media service provider has a notification obligation and he/she has to submit a notification of economic activity.
While applying for the activity licence You have to keep in mind below requirements:
- You are the person that Media Services Act applies to
- By submitted data in the application You have to show Your sustainability of fulfilling law requirements. In case You are applying for the activity licence for providing radio service or free access television service, the application must be submitted in conformity with § 39 of Media Services Act. Business plan and plan of investments being part of an application have to prove Your sustainability of fulfilling law and licence competition requirements.
- Application for the activity licence for providing radio service or free access television service can only be submitted during the time of announced competition. In case of radio service You also have to submit an application for a frequency licence.
- The licence for providing radio service or free access television service is issued to the applicant who appeared to be the best-bidder in the selection procedure.
A television programme that has an active licence of any European Union Member State or a country that has joined the European Convention on Transfrontier Television does not need a licence to be issued in Estonia.
Reception and retransmition of a television programme from another state is not restricted unless in the cases provided for in § 51 of Media Services Act.
There are basic principles coming from Audiovisual Media Services Directive that are valid in all European Union Member States and EEA (European Economic Area) Member States, but every state can provide more strict or detailed rules. Thus can the regulation vary in different states.
Application for licence to provide conditional access television service, satellite television service or temporary television or radio service has to be submitted to Technical Regulatory Authority.
Below documents should be added to the application:
- Business plan and plan of investments
- In case an applicant is a legal person: a document certifying the legal powers of the representative of the applicant unless the authority arises from the law or the Articles of Association of the legal person
- The annual report for the year preceding the submission of the application if the applicant is a legal person that is not obliged to submit the annual report to the Business Register
- Application for the activity licence for providing radio service or free access television service can only be submitted during the time of announced competition.
PS! A state fee shall be paid before submitting the application.
Application can be submitted:
- by entering the Register of Economic Activities via the state portal (use of the service requires logging in with an ID card, Mobile ID or via Internet bank);
- by e-mail: email@example.com
- by sending a mail to Technical Regulatory Authority (Tehnilise Järelevalve Amet), Sõle 23 A, 10614 Tallinn,
Before submitting the application a state fee shall be paid to the Ministry of Finance (Rahandusministeerium):
- SEB – EE891010220034796011
- Swedbank – EE932200221023778606
- Danske Bank A/S Eesti filiaal – EE403300333416110002
- Nordea Bank Finland PLC Eesti filiaal – EE701700017001577198
When making the payment please mark the number of reference 2900080050.
State fee amounts:
- For review of the application for activity licence for providing free access television service or radio service – 640 euros.
- For review of the application for activity licence for providing conditional access television service – 510 euros.
- For review of the application for activity licence for providing temporary television or radio service – 75 euros.
- For review of the application for activity licence for providing satellite television service – 960 euros.
Submitted application is being proceeded as follows:
- The decision on the issue of or refusal to issue the activity licence for the provision of conditional access television service and temporary activity licence or on the refusal to review the application shall be made by the Director General of the Technical Regulatory Authority within one month as of the receipt of the application
- The Director General of the Technical Regulatory Authority shall make the decision on the issue of or refusal to issue the activity licence for the provision of free access television and radio service or on the refusal to review the application within three months as of the final date for submission of the applications for an activity licence
- The decision on the issue of or refusal to issue the activity licence for the provision of satellite television service, or on the refusal to review the application shall be made by the Director General of the Technical Regulatory Authority within six months as of the receipt of the application
The applicant is being informed of the decision or refusal via e-mail.
An entry is being made to reflect the licence in the Register of Economic Activities.
If the data in the application is not sufficient, the applicant is contacted via e-mail and given a deadline to eliminate deficiencies.
Licence is valid during the time marked on the decree.
Maximum time of licence duration:
- Providing free access television service – 10 years
- Providing conditional access television service or radio service – 5 years
- Providing satellite television service – 5 years
- Providing temporary television or radio service – 1 month (in order to reflect any particular event)
If you would like to change the conditions of an issued licence, please submit an application in conformity with the General Part of the Economic Activities Code Act (§§ 32-33).
The Director General of the Technical Regulatory Authority may, upon the request of the holder, suspend the activity licence for transmission of the programme service for up to one month if material obstacles have become evident in the technical transmission of the programme service.
If you would like to commence the activity of providing media services, please submit notice on renouncement of economic activities (majandustegevusest loobumise teade) to the Register of Economic Activities through Estonian state portal or directly to the Technical Regulatory Authority (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org).
The activity licence is being revocated in case:
- intentional submission of incorrect information by an undertaking upon application for an activity licence, which affected the grant of a licence, provided that if such information had not been submitted, the grant of an activity licence would have been denied
- renouncement of economic activities by an undertaking
- validity of a relevant prohibition on economic activities imposed by a court judgment or arising from law in a relevant area of activity in respect of an undertaking
- if the person set out on the activity licence has not transmitted the programme service that is in compliance with the conditions or secondary conditions of the activity licence for over one month
The activity licence could be revocated in case of:
- material violation of an economic activity requirement in the subject of review of the activity licence or a secondary condition of the activity licence
- a significant damage or danger caused to public order by the activity permitted by the activity licence, which did not exist or was not known at the time of grant of the activity licence and which overrides the interest of the undertaking in continuing the activity and which cannot be eliminated by amendment of the activity licence.
State supervision is performed by the Technical Regulatory Authority (Tehnilise Järelevalve Amet).
Chief Specialist of Communications and Media Services Department of Technical Regulatory Authority, tel: 667 2084, e-mail: email@example.com
Adviser of Communications and Media Services Department of Technical Regulatory Authority, tel: 667 2082, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
General information of the Register and technical questions
Anne Raadla Advisor of Internal Market Centre of the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications, tel: 625 6344, e-mail: email@example.com Go to the next part of the content