If you do not meet the conditions to receive an unemployment insurance benefit, or if you have exhausted your rights to a benefit, you may still qualify for the unemployment allowance.
The unemployment allowance is paid to unemployed persons who:
- do not qualify for the unemployment insurance benefit,
- actively look for work,
- have worked or finished full-time studies, and
- have an income that is less than the allowance.
How to apply for the unemployment allowance
To request the unemployment allowance, you need to submit an application to Unemployment Insurance Fund (Töötukassa), which you can do through the local office where you are registered. Application can you submit also in self-service of Unemployment Insurance Fund (NB! e-services are in Estonian.)
The following must be appended to the application for unemployment benefits:
- identity document
- document certifying employment or other occupation in the 12 months preceding registration and of termination thereof.
The unemployment allowance (150,66 EUR in month) is paid for a maximum period of 270 days. If the last employment relationship was terminated at the initiative of the employer due to breach of work duties, loss of confidence or an unbecoming act, unemployment benefits are paid for a maximum of 210 days.
You can not receive the unemployment insurance benefit and the unemployment allowance together. However, you can apply for unemployment insurance benefit and unemployment allowance at the same time. Unemployment Insurance Fund will then check for which of the two you qualify.
Unemployment benefits are calculated and paid retroactively for the days between visits by the Unemployment Insurance Fund. Unemployment benefits are paid at least once every 30 days to the personal bank account of the unemployed person.
Other categories of labour market benefits
- A stipend for an unemployed person who takes part in a labour market training lasting at least 40 hours
- Travel and accommodation benefit for which the participant in a labour market training submits an application. The benefit is paid on the basis of participation documentation submitted by the trainer.
If you have any questions, call the information line of the Unemployment Insurance Fund at 15501 (when calling from abroad, dial +372 614 8500), contact us in Skype (tootukassa), or write an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.