Holiday and additional holiday

The general national standard for the working time of employees is 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week. Employees who have worked at least six months during their first working year have the right to receive a holiday in proportion to the number of months worked. This means that half a year after the commencement of work one shall receive half of the prescribed holiday. Regardless of the amount of time worked, minors, women before or after pregnancy leave or maternity leave and employees who are partially incapacitated for work due to a work-related injury have the right to receive a holiday in full.

An employer is required to grant a holiday at the time requested by the employee to:

  • a woman immediately before and after pregnancy leave or maternity leave or immediately after parental leave;
  • a man immediately after a parental leave or during pregnancy leave or maternity leave of his wife;
  • a parent raising a child of up to 7 years of age;
  • a parent raising a child of between 7 and 10 years of age, during a school holiday of the child;
  • a minor.

If the holidays have not been used upon the termination of an employment contract or a service relationship, the employer shall pay the employee monetary compensation for unused holidays, but for not more than a total of four years’ unused holidays.

Annual holiday and additional holiday

The duration of an annual holiday shall be specified in an employment contract and usually it is 28 calendar days. The annual holiday of an employee who works part-time shall be of the same duration as the annual holiday of a full-time employee. Employers shall pay employees holiday pay for annual holiday.

An extended annual holiday shall be granted to:

  • minors – 35 calendar days;
  • persons who are granted a pension for incapacity for work or the national pension – 35 calendar days;
  • state officials and local government officials – 35 calendar days;
  • pedagogical specialists and scientific staff up to 56 calendar days;
  • pedagogical specialists of medical institutions, social welfare institutions and children’s sanatoriums up to 56 calendar days.

Holiday without pay

An employee may apply for holiday without pay, if necessary. For this an application shall be submitted to an employer, which would specify also the duration of the holiday applied for. Holiday may be granted only by agreement of an employer and an employee. At the request of an employee, the employer is required to grant a holiday without pay to an employee for taking the state examinations of an upper secondary school or the entrance examinations of a vocational educational institution, institution of applied higher education or a university. Holidays shall be granted on the basis of a statement from the educational institution for the time indicated therein.

Unpaid Parental Leave

A mother and a father raising a child up to 14 years of age, or a parent of a child with special needs up to the age of 18, is entitled for up to 10 unpaid workdays of parental leave each year. The right for the parental leave also applies to a child’s guardian or person with whom the family has concluded a caregiving contract.

Academic Leave

The employee is entitled to up to 30 calendar days of academic leave per year for attending trainings. For degree and job-related trainings, the employer must pay the medium daily remuneration to the employee for 20 calendar days. The employee is free to use the unpaid leave to cover the remaining 10 calendar days. To finish degree studies, the employee is given an additional 15 calendar days of academic leave, compensated with the minimum salary.

From 1 July 2018, a relative or appointed caregiver of an adult person with a profound disability has the right for an extra five paid workdays of care leave per year in addition to their annual leave. The unused days of leave cannot be transferred to the next year.

People with the right to receive leave from their employer:

  • A spouse or registered domestic partner (as defined in the Registered Partnership Act);
  • an adult relative (parent, grandparent, sister, brother, child, or grandchild); or
  • a guardian or a caregiver appointed by the local government of an adult with a profound disability.

To use the days of leave, you have to submit an application to your employer.

The payment of the leave is calculated and paid by the employer. The leave will be reimbursed on the basis of the minimum wage (in 2018, it is 23.62 euros per day).

Last amended: 02-07-2018 00:00 | Compiled by: Labour Inspectorate; Social Insurance Board